You don’t need to earn massive loads of money to own a property portfolio worth millions.
How is it done? With a bit of hard work, self-discipline, and determination.
Firstly, you have to manage your money wisely. This means you’ll be taking the long view on your financial future.
Rather than focusing on what you “want” in the here and now, you need to set goals based on what you want to achieve in the future. Planning and goal setting combined with good money management is a powerful force.
No matter what your income, you can achieve a good result when you understand the concept of sacrifice in order to obtain a future return. This is especially important with property investing where you’ll need to build equity, maintain momentum, and save deposits. It will also give you more the ability to act when it given the chance to seize an opportunity.
The following 15 tips can help you save money – both for things you need now and for your financial future. They’re not complicated, however you do need to be consistent and persistent:
15 Money Saving Tips
- Avoid impulse buying (e.g. fast food or online shopping).
- Cook more meals at home, limiting eating out for special occasions – once per week maximum –if you have to!
- Pack your lunches from home ($10 per day is $2,600 each year).
- Set a daily spending limit. When you underspend, put the difference in an interest bearing account to go to work for you
- Purchase sale items you normally buy; don’t buy it just because it’s on sale!
- Buy clothing seasonally (e.g. buy winter items during spring sales).
- Have money set aside by your employer before you receive your pay.
- Eliminate pay services for something you can do yourself – do you really need a cleaner?
- If you have any unhealthy habits (e.g. smoking and/or drinking) reduce or eliminate them to save not only money, but improve your health.
- Sell your stuff online instead of throwing it away – try TradeMe or Facebook Market
- Don’t buy season tickets – what if you don’t go every time?
- Cut your extraneous utilities and/or those things you can live without either permanently or for some time (e.g. paid tv, home phone).
- Research and comparison shop on big ticket items (e.g. washer/dryer, TV, etc).
- Keep receipts for items you buy at work (that aren’t reimbursed) for use at tax time (e.g. home office expenses, work travel in your personal vehicle).
- Don’t incur late fees – always pay your bills on time! Remember that it’s the little things that add up.
Coffee is a good example. If you bought two coffees per day at $3.50 each you would spend $2,500+ per year! That’s a testimony for brewing your own if I ever saw it!
When you look at your daily habits in this manner it’s easy to see how quickly money can slip through your fingers!
Take a look at where money might be leaking by keeping a detailed list of your spending for at least two weeks – even longer is better. If you’ve never done this before you’ll be amazed by what you discover.
Learn more about money management, goal setting and planning at our next Property Investor Night near you.
You can sign up for 2020 events below. See the latest dates and locations below and make sure you register now.
You will learn the fundamentals of property investment strategy, everything from understanding market conditions, to setting up a solid finance structure, to choosing the right properties for your goals, and lots more. No selling, just free info.
See you at an event!
Real people, with real stories. These are some of our successful clients. You can be one too.
Attend a FREE Property Investor Night
We hold free information nights all around NZ every month.
It’s the best opportunity to gain some invaluable info, learn about our proven strategies, find out about market trends, and get free advice on your next best move.
On the night you’ll learn –
✔️ Start investing with what you already have
✔️ Where to buy for growth (and what to avoid)
✔️ Retire earlier with passive income
✔️ What types of property to buy for your goals
✔️ Learn to leverage your strengths with strategy
✔️ Ways to pay off your home faster – in 15 years
✔️ How you can make your pay go further
✔️ How to use your home equity to safely invest
6 Reasons to secure your free ticket –
It’s hard to sort through fact from fiction, so we’ve made it easy for you to work out your next step in your property investment journey.
Our property coaches are real world investors and qualified experts.
We’ve paid attention and know what works and what doesn’t over 20 years.
Our team stay up-to-date with the news and market changes, and implement real-life strategies for long term investment and financial sustainability.
This is a high value event. Your only investment is 2 hours of time to see what you can learn from our highly experienced team.
Whether you have 1 property or 10 this Property Investors Night will show you how you can take your property investing to the next level in any type of market conditions.
What will we cover on the night?
We cover a lot in just 2 hours – check the schedule for detailed info.
You’ll also have the chance to ask questions from the qualified property coach who will be presenting the Property Investment Night.
Afterwards, you have the chance to book in for a free What Can I Do Now meeting with your property coach. This is a one-on-one, nuts and bolts meeting where they take a look at your situation and advise you on what your next best move is to get started with investing.